HISTORY AND CULTURE

OUR LADY OF LIGHT PARISH

Address: A. Bonifacio Avenue, Brgy. San Andres, Cainta, Rizal 
Contact Number: (02) 655-0840
In 1760, the parish of Our Lady of Light was canonically erected. The vernacular translation of the parish’s titular, as immortalized in the first Tagalog novena to the patroness published in 1884, is “Ina ng Caliuanagan”. Our Lady of Light is depicted in a painting which is presently enshrined and venerated in the church as a rendition of the original icon which was brought to Cainta in 1727 from Ferrara, Italy by Fr. Bartolommeo Cavanti, SJ. The original painting was burned when the church was razed by fire and destroyed in 1899.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FULL ALBUM

 

SAINT FRANCIS OF ASSISI PARISH

Saint Francis of Assisi Parish, located in Cambridge-Midtown Village at San Andres, Cainta is one of the newer parishes in the Dioceses of Antipolo. It was established last 2001 through the help of the Parish Priest and the parishioners. The main gate of the church connects to the main village in Cambridge and the alternate gate goes around the other side of the village straight towards another subdivision.

With Saint Francis of Assisi as its patron, the church includes different images of the said saint in his different holy perspective; an image of Saint Francis with the Holy Spirit as a dove, an old Saint Francis, wise and saintly, Saint Francis with the infant Jesus also wearing a habit, and Saint Francis holding Jesus on the cross as an image of Christ's message to him saying "Rebuild my church" as Saint Francis spoke with Saint Damian's Cross in Assisi. These images portray several points of the life of Saint Francis during his ministry.

Furthermore, in front of the church hangs an artistic cross sculpture done by Nemi Miranda, one of the famous artists from Angono, Rizal. This cross has been one of the symbols of faith in the parish and the village.

CLICK THE THUMBNAILS TO VIEW THE IMAGES


 

BANTAYOG NG MGA BAYANI

The Hunters ROTC Guerillas Memorial Shrine or also known as “Bantayog ng Mga Bayani” is a sculptural art work of F. Hernandez. It was located in San Juan, Cainta Rizal. If the interested tourist wants to see this shrine and they came from Ortigas or Edsa, they can take a jeepney or bus bound to Taytay, Angono, or Binangonan via Highway. Same thing if the travelers came from Sta.Lucia Mall, ride a jeep bound to Binangonan or Angono. If they are coming from Our Lady of Light Parish Church Cainta, it is just a meter away and a nice walk towards the shrine.
The monument depicts the lives of Filipino and American soldiers who fought against the Japanese Empire. During the Japanese occupation in the year 1942 to 1945 many of the Filipinos sacrificed their lives to fight for their country and their freedom. People who see the shrine will somehow feel the story behind the monument and its murals. These murals include the Japanese Invasion in 1942, Guerilla Secret Assembly, The Great Heroes in War, The “Good” Defector, Mission: Surveillance and Provide Food Supply, Saving a U.S Pilot, Rolling Troops Camp, Receiving Arms and Supply, The Leyte Lending in October 1944, Arising to Victory, Liberation of Cainta in February 22, 1945, The Friendship Day, and the Happy National Heroes Day which was celebrated last August 26, 2013.

CLICK THE THUMBNAILS TO VIEW THE IMAGES


 

 

 
Copyright @ Provincial Government of Rizal. League of Provinces of the Philippines. All Rights Reserved 2013.